Saturday 9 October 2010

The Voodoo Review: #1: Tr0uble07


There’s a lot of musical talent in the family. A big hatful of creativity. One of my brothers can jam on harmonica and summon Britney Spears on the television just by strumming a few bars of “Hit Me Baby One More Time”, while another was sharing guitar tutorials online at the age of 13. There’s plenty more to those stories too…

…Meanwhile, in London, my cousin Tr0uble07 has taken his recordings to profile on MySpace, and put together a demo that I want to hear on Jools Holland…

TR0UBLE07, London
Drum & Bass/Hip Hop/Trip Hop
The Man With The Golden Tongue… Makes Beats And Love…

TRACKLIST:

Make Ya Happy
The intro - does exactly what it says on the tin. With a classic 60’s-70’s-stylee disco riff that makes me think of Huggy Bear swaggering into the club at opening time, like he owns the place. Oh wait - he DOES own the place. It’s that kind of feeling…

Sexual Intellectual
…Watch out, Huggy - here come the chicks, looking for free entry to V.I.P. Hey, that was a bit too easy! Wonder what favours the bouncers will be collecting later?

A chilled-out parallel to Armand Van Helden. Very nice too.

Prodigy of Mobb Deep - Keep It Thoro Remix
The confrontation in the V.I.P. private bar… maybe those chicks had a hidden agenda…

A rap number featuring beats and brass with a Fun Lovin’ Criminals laid-back element, and some nice sound-effect samples, especially the “Draw Your Sword” vocal and clashing blades towards the end.

Spontaneous Combustion
And now a drum and bass road-trip somewhere completely different. Not only do I love the title, being a closet pyromaniac, but it puts me in mind of dance tracks of the 90’s, from The Helicopter Track to T-Power’s “Police State”, just the right combo of beats, heavy and ethereal ambience to make me want to stay in that dance tent and forget who I am for the set.

A perfect track for stream-of-consciousness inspiration while having an introspective moment. I’d be taking lots of this with me if I was on a road-trip into the unknown…

Jedi Mind Tricks - Animal Rap Remix
Back to the rap and classic sampling for the crime scene back in Huggy’s club. Who saw what happened? Any witnesses? Good luck chasing up the statements for this one - it’s tense in the interrogations, and there’s no sign of those chicks that started it… just an observation, mind you…

Darkness Is All I See
A classy blues-feel trippin’ outro as the police scratch their heads and the chicks walk away from the scene unnoticed with the other innocent bystanders…

…Probably the coolest story idea I’ve had while listening to an album…

L xxxxxxx

1 comment: